I just want to say thank you for everyone who attended my sessions at the DMAW Digital Day Forum today.
Here’s a summary of some of the things we talked about:
- A good data visualization shows the big picture, but let’s you also see the small details.
- A good infographic helps to make simple a complicated concept.
- A good data visualization asks users to find themselves within the visualization.
Here are some of the tools I talked about:
- Tableau – Business Intelligence Software that does some great visualizations.
- Piktochart – A neat little online tool that lets you make your own infographics.
Here are the visualizations we looked at:
- US Gun Deaths, 2013: Periscopic
- What is Cerebral Palsy
- At Top Colleges, an Admissions Gaps for Minorities: New York Times
- Police Shootings: Washington Post
- Homicides In the District: Washington Post
- Life Expectancy: Flowing Data
Some fun with Visualizations: